Every now and then there is a new and trendy product that hits the health and nutrition market that becomes the must-eat or must-drink product. This is the product that you see on all of the adverts, in all of the shop windows and all of the health magazines. Fast forward a few months and there is a brand new must-have product that is bigger, better and promises more than the last.
Coconut oil is not one of these fads and has been around a lot longer than many know. What's more being an oil (yes, we know that for years people have told you to stay away from oils and fats) it is packed with goodness.
While fat in generally is to be consumed carefully and in proportion coconut oil which is a saturated fat (a good saturated fat) when added to the diet may offer a number of nutrition benefits, some of which are below.
- Coconut oil offers a significant amount of MCFA, or a medium chain saturated fatty acid. This fat is different to may others as it offers immediate energy, not needing to go through the lengthy process other saturated fats have to in order to give you what you need.
- If you want to boost and maintain a healthy immune system once again coconut oil may help. Offering a range of benefits such as antibacterial and antiviral properties as well as capric, lauric and caprylic acid (all known to boost the immune system) coconut oil is definitely worth looking at.
- Many use coconut oil as part of their weight loss regime or weight management. As it is a MCFA it doesn't need to be turned into a fat store which may then be used as energy as MCFAs are converted in the liver. What this means is that rather than using glucose to keep you going your body may burn up fat. This process also helps to stabilise insulin levels which is great overall for health and also encourages better weight management over a longer period of time.
- If you are looking for something that is great for skin coconut oil could be just the thing as it keeps your skin hydrated, fights free radicals which are known to speed up aging and overall it will increase the health of your skin. Benefits may be achieved via adding coconut oil to your diet or by applying it directly to the skin itself.
- Coconut oil has been linked to aiding those who struggle with inflammation as it reduces this. Used regularly as part of a healthy diet coconut oil may certainly offer relief for some with chronic inflammation.
- This popular oil works to give your metabolism a boost by keeping your digestive system in tip top condition and by increasing its efficiency.
- If you are someone who craves sugar or are a "snacker" coconut oil could be for you. Coconut oil keeps your energy levels throughout the day at a more stable level, banishing hunger, crashes and cravings.
- Coconut oil has been linked with good heart health. The reason for this is that it keeps the triglycerides in the blood (which are linked with heart disease and associated problems) at a lower level.
Clearly coconut oil offers a wide range of benefits which will increase your health and well-being. Being such a versatile oil too it is easy to find creative and tasty ways to add it to your diet.
How do you eat yours?